04 Dec

Link’s Master Sword – Part 3

Master Sword Finished 1

Part 1
Part 2

Now that the sword was all glued/plastiwelded together, it was ready to be painted. The joints on the blade ended up feeling much stronger than I expected them to, which made me very happy.

I did a poor job of photographing the priming, sanding, and painting process. I’ll get better at it, I promise.

I used sandable filler primer to smooth out the imperfections in the 3D print finish and seems between pieces. I think that I should have done more sanding between coats instead of just adding coats until the gaps were filled in.

priming

After several coats of primer and some sanding, I deemed the sword ready for printing. After paint on, I did notice that the blade wasn’t as smooth as it could have been. I’ll pay more attention to the smoothness next time before moving to paint.

painting

First, I panted the blade with a metallic silver spray paint. After that dried, I taped off the blade and painted the hilt blue. For the gold accents, I taped off around the diamond piece and spray painted that. The inset shapes on the hilt I painted with a brush because there was no way that I was going to be able to spray paint that. Finally, I gave the whole sword a coat of glossy clear coat.

Master Sword Finished 2

Master Sword Finished 3

Master Sword Finished 1

 

Overall, I’m quite happy with how the sword has turned out. There are many imperfections that I’m not thrilled with, but I 3D printed an entire freaking Master Sword! Were I starting over from scratch, I’d probably embed a metal rod all the way through the entire thing to add rigidity, and I’m sure I’d do a more careful job with the painting.

The first part of the Zelda costumes is now complete. I will start 3D printing the scabbard tomorrow. I’m working on the 3D model and some cool electronics for Zelda’s bow at the same time, so watch for posts about both in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *