22 Nov

Link’s Master Sword – Part 2

When we left off on our Master Sword build, we had just started printing the handle. Time to make some serious progress.

Link’s Master Sword – Part 1

Before we start today’s post, let me just say that there was actually many days between the progress that you saw in the first post. I also had filament issues when switching to a new roll of gray. I am currently buying cheap filament from eBay, but only some rolls print perfectly. I will likely be switching to more expensive, but much higher quality, filament in the near future.

To continue the build, I next printed the other 2 pieces of the hilt and glued them together. Here you can see that I have switched to this crappy gray filament. At this point, I’ve also sanded most of the joints to make it fairly smooth.

Master Sword Hilt

Next, I tackled printing the blade. I have switched to yellow filament here because I know that it prints well in the Rostock Max v2. The Printrbot Metal can handle the crappier filaments better than the Rostock due to the direct drive extruder vs the Rostock’s Bowden, but I’ve already switched to yellow at this point and decided to finish out that way. It doesn’t matter what color we use right now as we’ll be priming and painting everything later.

Master Sword blade pieces

 

Not pictured is the lowest piece of the blade that has the triforce cut into it. I first tried printing that on the Printrbot Metal with support material, but the support material could not be removed. I managed to print it on the Rostock without support material. I do love the Rostock.

For reference, I used 30% infill on the blade pieces and 20% on the hilt.

The final part to print is the handle. I actually did try this on the Printrbot as well, but some of the more severe angles don’t print well. The Rostock handles them wonderfully though, so it continues to be the workhorse.

Master Sword handle

The whole thing is now printed, and we can continue assembly. I Plastiweld the two handle pieces together, as well as all 6 blade pieces.

Master Sword pieces

At this point, I gave all of the joints another sanding. I figured that sanding the blade before it is attached to the handle would be the easiest option. I’m a bit worried about how well the blade will hold up given how many separate pieces there are, but the Plastiweld seems to create extremely strong joints.

First, I attached the handle to the hilt. The final piece is the blade onto the hilt. This is the joint that will be under the most stress. I sanded the hilt as flat as possible, since all 4 pieces joined right where the blade will be connecting.

My first few attempts to weld the pieces together failed. I ended up trying different items under pieces of the sword to support the blade and the hilt at the right heights. In the process, I also spilled Plastiweld all over my bar top. It doesn’t seem to have left any damage, but always screw the lids back on your jars kids!

Please excuse the mess and admire my makeshift supports:

DSCN0376

The sword is currently drying, and I’m going to leave it overnight before testing the strength of the weld on the blade to the hilt. If it doesn’t hold well, which very possibly could happen, I might try drilling holes into each side, printing small pegs, and using those to strengthen the joint.

Once everything is dry and strong, we’ll be ready to start priming and painting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *